As an individual company that’s part of global Honda – Honda Innovations Silicon Valley, Inc. supports all the disruptive technologies Honda is working on behind the scenes as the company helps shape the mobility ecosystem of the future. Joining Honda Innovations strategic investment and partnership program, Honda Xcelerator Ventures, means you’ll be responsible for supercharging all business units within global Honda, from R&D to new business development.
As a Principal, Strategic Investments and Venture Partnerships – West Coast, you will engage with investors, entrepreneurs, and the innovation ecosystem to source and propose unique technology and business opportunities for investment and collaboration within Honda. Being a “super-connector” and a helpful member of the venture community, you see industry trends as they emerge and bring opportunities to Honda. 70% of your work will focus on identifying, proposing, and leading strategic investment opportunities with the Corporate Venturing team. 30% of your time will focus on network expansion and deal sourcing for the West Coast region of the US.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Source investment opportunities involving transformational technologies strategic to Honda’s business and products
- Identify high quality deal flow through a personal network of VC/CVC/startups
- Develop, broaden, and strengthen your network – venture capital (VC) firms, corporate venture capital (CVC) firms, startups, and related entities
- Perform initial due diligence including market potential, technical strength, financial viability, team by gathering information from the target company, industry experts and other sources
- Create and present investment proposals weekly to the Honda Xcelerator Ventures team
- Lead the internal investment process for selected deals
- Be the primary interface and support for portfolio companies
- Support internal startup collaborations as necessary
- Have expertise in 2 or more technology vertical domains relevant to Honda
- Bachelor’s degree in science, engineering, business, or related field
Field of Expertise
Corporate venture capital (CVC) or venture capital (VC) investment experience. Strong understanding in several technology verticals for initial due diligence assessment.
Skills and Experience
- Minimum required skills and experience
- 3-5 years experience on a corporate venture capital (CVC) or venture capital (VC) team
- Be highly organized with the ability to multitask and manage multiple work streams
- Proven track record in sourcing, proposing, and closing early-stage investments
- Strong Bay Area network for high quality deal sourcing
- Expert knowledge in one or more of the following domains: CASE (connected, automated, shared and electrified) mobility, energy or climate tech
- Ability to quickly ramp up technical knowledge in new areas
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills
- Must be a team player who values relationships and people
- Passionate about leveraging new technologies to create new experiences, improve human mobility and bring joy to customers
- Driven and proactive, with an ability to adapt to dynamic circumstances, and thrive even with ambiguity
- Preferred skills and experience in one or more areas below:
- Master’s degree in science or engineering and/or an MBA
- Corporate development experience
- Formal startup investment experience
The position is based in Mountain View, CA.
Domestic and international travel up to 30% may be required.