As an individual company that’s part of global Honda – Honda Innovations, Inc. was named for its purpose: relentless determination to challenge convention and dream big. It’s here to support all the disruptive technologies Honda is working on behind the scenes as the company helps shape the mobility ecosystem of the future.
Joining Honda Innovations means you’ll be responsible for supercharging all business units within global Honda, from R&D to new business development. Honda Innovations open innovation program, Honda Xcelerator, serves as catalysts to discover and experiment with new technologies and business concepts. As part of the Honda Xcelerator team, you will help develop partnerships with and invest in innovators across all funding stages who seek to transform technology and business. You will be at the forefront of Honda’s most innovative technologies.
As a Program Manager, Alliance Development – West Coast, you will engage with investors, entrepreneurs, and the innovation ecosystem to source unique and high-value emerging technology and business opportunities for investment, M&A and direct collaboration within Honda. Being a “super- connector” and a helpful member of the venture community, you see industry trends as they emerge and bring opportunities to Honda. 70% of the work is outwardly facing and engaging with investors, entrepreneurs, startups, and large companies in the West Coast region of the US.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Actively discover investment, M&A and collaboration opportunities involving emerging and transformational technologies relevant to Honda’s current and future business and products.
- Develop, broaden, and strengthen your network in the West Coast innovation ecosystems including Venture Capital (VC) Firms, Corporate Venture Capital (CVCs) Firms, startups, and related entities.
- Be the go-to person on the team in 2-3 technology vertical domains of
- An engineering/technical background can be helpful to get a sense of the validity of a given technology and separate possibility from fiction.
- Bachelor’s degree in science, engineering, business, or related field (Master’s degree or MBA candidates preferred)
Field of Expertise
Strategic investment and M&A in startup opportunities including a strong understanding in several technology verticals for initial due diligence assessment
Skills and Experience
- Minimum required skills and experience
- Experience in corporate open innovation, venture investment and/or accelerator/incubator
- Solid understanding of startups and VC or CVC process and ecosystem and have been part of or have worked closely with such entities.
- Ability to successfully discover a high volume of unique and investible deal flow
- Industry knowledge in one or more of the following domains: CASE (Connected, Automated, Shared and Electrified) Mobility, Smart City, Energy/Climate Tech and ability to conduct initial diligence in these areas.
- Knowledge of investment banking and entrepreneurship/startups.
- Ability to quickly ramp up technical knowledge in new
- Strong analytical and quantitative
- Must be a team player who values relationships and
- Ability to interpret data and effectively communicate relevant conclusions and
- Passionate about leveraging new technologies to create new experiences, improve human mobility and bring joy to customers
- Driven and proactive, with an ability to adapt to dynamic circumstances, and thrive even with ambiguity
- Preferred skills and experience in one or more areas below:
- Master’s Degree or MBA
- Understand Japanese business culture and practices
- Corporate development and/or financial experience
- Formal Investment Due Diligence
The position is based in Mountain View, CA.
Domestic and international travel up to 30% may be required.