As an individual company that’s part of global Honda – Honda Innovations, Inc. is named for its purpose: relentless determination to challenge convention and dream big. It’s here to support all the disruptive technologies Honda is working on behind the scenes as the company helps shape future carbon neutrality and mobility. Joining Honda Innovations open innovation program, Honda Xcelerator, means you’ll be responsible for supercharging all business units within global Honda, from R&D to new business development.
As a Project Manager, Startup Investment and Strategic Partnerships – West Coast, you will engage with investors, entrepreneurs, and the innovation ecosystem to source and propose unique technology and business opportunities for investment and collaboration within Honda. Being a “super-connector” and a helpful member of the venture community, you see industry trends as they emerge and bring opportunities to Honda. 70% of your work will focus on identifying, proposing, and leading strategic investment opportunities with the Honda Xcelerator team. 30% of your time will focus on network expansion and deal sourcing for the West Coast region of the US.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Source investment opportunities involving transformational technologies strategic to Honda’s business and products
- Identify high quality deal flow through a personal network of VC/CVC/startups
- Develop, broaden, and strengthen your network: VC and CVC firms, startups, and related entities
- Perform initial due diligence including market potential, technical strength, financial viability, team by gathering information from the target company, industry experts and other sources
- Propose weekly deal opportunities to the Honda Xcelerator team
- Lead the internal investment process for selected deals
- Support internal startup PoC when necessary
- Work to develop investment theses in different technology areas
- Have expertise in two or more technology vertical domains relevant to Honda
- Bachelor’s degree in science, engineering, business, or related field (master’s degree or MBA candidates preferred)
Field of Expertise
- Strategic investment and M&A in startup opportunities including a strong understanding in several technology verticals for initial due diligence assessment
Skills and Experience
- Minimum required skills and experience
- Experience in innovation and CVC or VC process
- Strong Bay Area network for high-quality deal sourcing
- Expert knowledge in one or more of the following domains: CASE, energy/climate tech, mobility, smart city
- Ability to quickly ramp up technical knowledge in new areas
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills
- Must be a team player who values relationships and people
- Ability to interpret data and effectively communicate relevant conclusions and recommendations
- Passionate about leveraging new technologies to create new experiences, improve human mobility and bring joy to customers
- Driven and proactive, with an ability to adapt to dynamic circumstances, and thrive even with ambiguity
- Preferred skills and experience in one or more areas below:
- Master’s degree or MBA
- Corporate development and/or financial experience
- Formal investment experience
The position is based in Mountain View, CA.
Domestic and international travel up to 30% may be required.