As an individual company that’s part of global Honda – Honda Innovations, Inc. was named for its purpose: relentless determination to challenge convention and dream big. It’s here to support all the disruptive technologies Honda is working on behind the scenes as the company helps shape the mobility ecosystem of the future.
Joining Honda Innovations means you’ll be responsible for supercharging all business units within global Honda, from R&D to new business development. The company develops partnerships with innovators across all funding stages who seek to transform technology and business. Being part of this company means you’ll be at the forefront of Honda’s most innovative technologies.
This position is an outward-facing role that engages with investors, entrepreneurs, and the innovation ecosystem. Being a “super-connector” and a helpful member of the venture community, you see industry trends as they emerge and bring opportunities to Honda. As a Managing Director, you lead a team of talented professionals across the globe as they discover transformative business opportunities and unique technologies for Honda. Using your creativity and guided by a keen business sense, you will be essential for the team to strategize, discover, propose, and execute investment and M&A opportunities.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Lead by example, getting involved in the Silicon Valley startup community to actively discover emerging technologies and trends relevant to Honda’s current and future business and products
- Manage a team of talented individuals to scale the scouting and discovery operations across the globe.
- Strengthen our existing network of partners and developing new ones based on strategic needs.
- Provide direction and guidance to strategize, discover, propose, and execute investment and M&A projects
- Effectively communicate business advantages of selected technologies and partners using careful research and business analysis
- Be the go-to person on the team in one or two domains of interest
- An engineering background can be helpful to get a sense of the validity of a given technology and separate possibility from fiction
Bachelor’s degree in science, engineering, business, or related field
(Master’s degree or MBA candidates preferred)
Field of Expertise
Some combination of corporate development, strategy development, strategic investment, and M&A
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum required skills and experience
- Minimum 10 years of experience in corporate open innovation, venture investment, accelerator/incubator
- 5+ years in a management or leadership role
- Solid understanding of startups and venture capital firm or CVC, or been part of or have worked closely with such entities
- Solid industrial knowledge in one or more of the following domains: mobility, energy, VTOL, MaaS, Robotics
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills
- Must be a team player who values relationships and people
- Ability to interpret data and effectively communicate relevant conclusions and recommendations
- Technology knowledge and
- Passionate about leveraging new technologies to create new experiences, improve human mobility and bring joy to customers
- Driven and proactive, with an ability to adapt to dynamic circumstances, and thrive even with ambiguity
- Preferred skills and experience in one or more areas below:
- MBA or business degree
- Japanese language proficiency
- Corporate development or venture capital
- Inorganic strategy development
- Technology due diligence experience
- Advanced degree in science or engineering; strong understanding of several areas of science and engineering to conduct initial due diligence
- Ability to quickly develop technical knowledge in new areas
- Hardware and software knowledge
The position is based in Mountain View, CA. Domestic and international travel up to 30% may be required.